The future is full of possibilities. At Banner Health, we're excited about what the future holds for health care. That's why we're changing the industry to make the experience the best it can be. If you're ready to change lives, we want to hear from you.
The Social Work department is seeking a driven Licensed Social Worker. As a Licensed Social Worker you will have the opportunity to provide direct patient care services including discharge planning and follow-through, as an integral member of the health care team. You'll provide educational counseling on issues related to chronic illnesses or disabilities, substance abuse and mental health. Additional responsibilities include assessing the safety of vulnerable adults/children to ensure safe discharges. Provide support for families and patients, provide education and support to medical staff on social justice/ethical issues and assist with coordinating care services.
Schedule : 4-10 hour shifts 7am-5:30pm
This position offers a weekend schedule which is eligible for a flat rate $3/hour weekend shift differential
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefits to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life
Since 1970, Banner Boswell Medical Center has provided exceptional care to the people in the northwest area of metropolitan Phoenix. Today, our 501-bed acute-care hospital is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of Phoenix's Best Hospitals and offers a full range of acute care services, including cardiology, oncology, orthopedics, neurology, surgery, rehabilitation, emergency, stroke, intensive care, pulmonary, urology, wound management and sleep disorders. We've earned the Gold Seal of ApprovalT from The Joint Commission for Primary Stroke Centers. We're also in the nation's top five percent for preventing mortality and complications.
POSITION SUMMARY This position develops, coordinates and provides social work services to patients and families who are faced with social, emotional and situational stressors precipitated by illness, injury, and/or disability. The goal is to aid in adaptation and empower the patient and the family to participate to the fullest of their abilities in the discharge planning process. This position provides developmentally appropriate care for the population that it serves which includes planning for the safe discharge and continuity of care, the ability to recognize and plan for the unique needs of all ages as well as the physically disabled, mentally ill, chronically ill and terminally ill patient.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Processes and facilitates the assessment with analysis of functional and psychological needs of the patient within the framework of his/her developmental stage, functional abilities, cultural milieu, and support network. Assessment of the relationship of the patient's medical needs to the patient's home situation, financial resources, and availability of community resources. Assessment of the social and emotional factors related to the patient's illness, need for care, response to treatment, and adjustment to care. Assessment includes: initial assessments, behavioral observations, test (MMSE, depression screening, substance abuse screening), resource identification - strength based, collection and analysis of information to determine an individual's treatment needs.
2. Formulates a plan of intervention acceptable to the patient, family, and health care team. Facilitate adjustments to the plan of care when necessary to promote enhanced outcomes. Collaborates with all members of the healthcare team to develop, manage, and communicate patient needs and discharge plans.
3. Documents all interventions in the patient medical record both timely and accurately including all elements of the transitional care plan to include the discharge plan.
4. Provides advocacy, assistance, support, counseling and crisis intervention to patients and families. Facilitates hospital-sponsored support groups.
5. Functions in a liaison role between the hospital and community in making community resources available to the patient and family.
6. Maintains knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid and other program benefits to assist patients with discharge planning and choices. Knowledge of contemporary behavioral health and system theories relevant to health care, end of life dynamics, and interventions; grief and bereavement counseling, substance abuse identification and interventions, support of victims of abuse, neglect, or violence. Provides professional education to staff and community.
7. Gather / assessing information, apply counseling and developmental theories, utilizing diagnostic frameworks, and engage in collaborative treatment planning.
8. Has freedom to determine how to best accomplish functions within established procedures. Confers with supervisor on any unusual situations. Positions are facility based with no budgetary responsibility. Internal customers: All levels of nursing management and staff, medical staff, and all other members of the interdisciplinary health care team. External Customers: Home health agencies, nursing homes, insurance providers, volunteer services, county and governmental agencies and medical supply companies.
Requires a Master's Degree in Social Work, Counseling or related field (requirement is based on business need and regulatory compliance, all positions may not have this requirement).
Requires a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) (equivalent*) or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW). An equivalent license applies to states that do not recognize an LMSW; therefore, the employee must possess a Master's Degree and be a Licensed Social Worker. For assignments in an acute care setting, Basic Life Support (BLS) certification is also required.
Requires a proficiency level typically achieved with 3 years acute care hospital experience. Banner Registry and Travel positions require a minimum of one year experience in an acute care hospital setting. Experience must include working in an acute care setting within the past 12 months as a Social Worker MSW in the specialty area.
Must have knowledge of government/community resources such as Medicare, Medicaid, long-term care or any other applicable resources/services. Must demonstrate critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, effective communication skills, human relations skills and time management skills. In acute care, must be able to work flexible hours and take rotating call after hours.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R19460
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.